Monday, March 28, 2011

And the winner is...

How fun is it to be me? Can I have a little brag post? The Tennessean asked for submissions to a contest - they wanted an essay on "Why I Love My Job in Education." Well, that's easy! So, I entered. And, I won. Good times...so, here is my little essay - perhaps it will give you a little insight into why we do what we do, and why I love my job so much:

I am living a dream. My family came across the Beacon Literacy Program while seeking out solutions for my sister’s reading difficulties. I had the opportunity to learn everything there is to learn and to offer the program for the first time in the U.S. Thousands of students later, Beacon is in several schools, outreach centers, and offered privately. What’s so fun about my role in that? I am able to interact daily with administrators, teachers, tutors, parents, and students. I can provide students with resources to help them become successful and confident readers and prepare them for life’s demands. I am able to offer parents real solutions to the stress and struggles of having a child with reading difficulties. In short, I am able to teach children to read without all the red tape. It is the joy of my life to see the look on a child’s face when they finally have that “ah-ha!” moment and realize that they can read and be successful. I watch my students and parents stand taller, smiles beaming across their faces as they can finally breath and simply be. Teaching is an honor and a privilege. I love my job.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a former special education teacher who lucked upon the opportunity to work with a FABULOUS reading program...Beacon Literacy Development. It has changed my life...now, I am able to impact the lives of hundreds of children & adults every year by assisting them with their reading skills. How fun is that??? I have 3 beautiful children, a very loyal dog and a fantastic husband...